Fibres of Life is a Canadian social entrepreneur project creating whimsical fair trade products with definite edge.
Annually, Fibres of Life takes steps to continually integrate our social and environmental values into how we operate our business. This is reflected in:
- Our production – such as our designs that focus on adaptability to create longevity. Or choices we are making to move to water based silkscreen inks. Selecting natural alternatives such as our coconut shell buttons used on our pin on’s, only natural tanning and mustard oil treatment of the leather we use, and work to reduce and eliminate use of any cotton in our products that is not organic (Nepal has difficulty accessing organic cotton and fair trade groups are working with EU partners to develop an organic supply in the country)
- Transport – We are working towards more sustainable forms of transport for our goods to North America, and within.
- Human Resource Policies – We create values based jobs and commit significantly to training, learning opportunities and mentorship in fair trade, community development and development of sustainable business practices. We work hard to provide respectable wages to our staff.
- Support of Community Initiatives – Based on our mandate, while we aim to direct most of our donations overseas, we occasionally donate to and support local community projects.
- Building capacity – We are discussing with the fair trade associations and Bachpan Bachao Andolan (the coalition fighting child labour in India that we support) how we can contribute to capacity building.